At a glance
To check on the growth and welfare of your baby in the second and third trimester.
• Tracks your baby’s growth
• No GP referral required
• Longer appointment duration
• Scan not generally available on the NHS
• Appointments available at short notice
• Weekday, Thursday evening or Saturday clinics
• Convenient central London location
• Scan performed by a highly trained sonographer or consultant
You will receive
• Your results on the day
• Two-page clinical report
• Estimated fetal weight, if desired
• Gender identification from 15 weeks at no additional cost, if you want to know
• Complimentary black & white picture of your baby (normally £2.50)
What happens with your results?
The results are presented in a two-page report complete with charts. During your appointment we will go through your report and fully explain our diagnosis.
What does it do?
A growth scan is a highly accurate way to track the progress of your baby’s growth, it is sometimes called the wellbeing scan or fetal growth scan.
All measurements are indicated on a scale that shows the upper and lower limits of the normal growth range. As long as your baby’s measurements fall within this window this is considered normal growth and should be very reassuring.
You may also be interested in monitoring the growth of your baby at regular intervals. By performing several growth scans your midwife or consultant will be able to observe your baby’s ongoing growth progress. These are often performed every four weeks, and more frequently if you have a multiple pregnancy.
What happens during the growth scan?
The sonographer or consultant takes various measurements of your baby and compares them to a set of fetal growth charts. These charts predict the size of your baby’s growth at any particular stage in your pregnancy.
During your appointment the sonographer or consultant will:
- Check your baby’s heart beat
- Measure the circumference and diameter of your baby’s head
- Measure the size of your baby’s waist
- Measure the length of your baby’s femur
- Examine your placenta
- Check the amount of fluid around your baby
- Check the baby’s movements
- Input all the measurements and data into our fetal database to compare and chart your baby’s growth
We can also check the gender of your baby from 15 weeks – but we’ll only tell you if you want to know
A detailed medical report will be available at the end of your appointment.
You may also want a growth scan if…
- You’ve had unusual pains in the tummy or spot bleeding
- Your baby has been moving less
- You have fallen or been involved in a traffic accident
Take a peek
The growth scan is performed in 2D, but if you want to see your baby in 4D you can add a 4D Sneaky Peek to your growth scan appointment at no extra cost (usual price £30).